1. Waterloo: Revenge is chic
2. The spirit of ’68 lives on in jet black hair, spiky statement heels and a nonchalant puff on a cigarette.
3. The Republic: A monarchy is so 18th Century.
4. ‘Liberte, egalite, fraternite’: a brilliant marketing ploy. ‘We take no prisoners and have no passageners’ is the real Parisian mantra which keeps these fashionistas in a league of their own.
5. Great stateswomen. And Carla Bruni is no exception; model, lover of rock n’ rolls coolest, late night appearances on Jools Holland and state appearances in head to toe Dior.
3/4. The White Terror: Perhaps Chanel’s monochrome was some sort of compromise.