After scouring the catwalks of Paris, New York and London…from my desk in South London…here is my take on what SS09 holds for the unfairer sex.
1. Deconstructing the layer: Some fashion brands have taken the innovative step of presenting looks that do not incorporate three hundred layers of different fabrics. Instead, clean lines and well designed pieces have snuck onto the catwalk. That lingering holiday weight from Xmas has nowhere to hide!
2. Grey remains: my favourite trend of Autumn/Winter 08 was definitely grey. Grey can be surprisingly vibrant and is no longer synonymous with misery, boredom or John Major. Grey is here to stay, which comes as great delight to me because that is the only colour I seem to own at the moment.
3. The Modern Mod: fine tailoring and big hair is a SS09 favourite. Tailored, slim fitting shorts coupled with a casual t-shirt or board shorts with a shirt and tie is how to do beach chic this SS09. Music tastes are optional.
4. Baggy trousers: Skinny jeans are dead and gone. The likes of Lanvin and Versace have brought the slouch back to mens fashion. This does not mean we should be wearing our tracksuit bottoms out on the town, that in fact should be outlawed. Rather, offset a bright upper torso with baggy bottoms.
5. Burberry Prorsum: chav no more. After a couple of good but safe collections of late, this season Burberry has come back into the ring fighting. My current wish list most certainly includes a light burberry mac for spring.
3/4. The male crop top is NOT going to happen. period.