You should never judge a book by its cover, but can you judge a librarian by his trousers?
Good looking, tall, and a librarian (it works for me), the young man who works of the University of Amsterdam’s library is a fine catch (for my single friends out there – fret not bf – he may have books but he hasn’t got a boat!) but HE WEARS FLARES. And like that, the spell is broken. Each morning when I return or pick up books, I see him across the counter and the illusion that good looks equals good dress sense is alive and well and occasionally makes me blush. But if I see him on the library steps having a cigarette and see his trousers I’m awakened to a sense of horror and as much as anything, utter disappointment.
Here’s my spell breaking list of how Prince Charming can turn into the fashion equivalent of self – harming.
1. Hair: so many ways to go wrong.
2. Shoes. I’d like to pretend I wasn’t a slave to a boy in a cool pair of brogues, deck shoes or Nikes but I’d just be lying
3. Long finger nails on men – my mother always warned me to stay well away. Sound advice.
4. Chains attached to belts that things hang off: it is the adult equivalent of attaching mittens to coats. Grow up.
5. The wide and impossible to condense genre of bad clothes; generally ill – fitting, strange shapes or strange colours. In short, stay away from strange
3/4. The best thing about having a boyfriend – aggressively ‘advising’ him on what to wear
A judgemental and (at times) superficial AMS