A mostly rainy day in Amsterdam meant that we spent the afternoon watching the final episode of The Wire season 4. If you’re not on The Wire then do it . IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE. Thrilling, heart stopping, funny, so so so clever, totally believable, bewitching and at times heart breaking, I can’t recommend it enough. So, with season four wrapped up and yet to buy season 5 (BBC 2 are showing it but please, please start at the beginning. You’ll miss so such. It’s superbly and intelligently subtle), I turned my head to my second addiction; Topshop and look what I found.
I miss the guns, the gangsters, the homicide po-lice, the corner boys and the politicians of west Baltimore – a complex narrative that blurs right and wrong, good and bad; a heart wrenching story about those in the game and those trying to cheat it and those trying to make it fair.
Nothing like a bit of Topshop to bring the world into perspective.
1. What: ‘Day of the Dead’ playsuit.
2. Where: topshop.com
3. Why: I love playsuits.
4. How much: £28.00
5. And: Perfect for summer days in the park with cropped denim jacket or nights on the town with black tights and black biker jacket.
3/4. Does Topshop ever get it wrong?
1. What: Barbara Hulanicki for Topshop
2. Where: www.topshop.com
3. Why: love the print. This collection was supposed to be inspired by Hulanicki’s return to illustration.
4. How much: only 30 quid!
5. Good for: Nights out with opaque tights and platforms or spring days with leggings and plimsolls
3/4. It sure looks tight! Wear bravely or like me, opt for one size up.
1. Just in case you haven’t seen it – Barbara Hulanicki for Topshop. Topshop’s blog Inside Out gave a sneaky preview as did Fashionaista. I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed.
2. Utterly torn between the grey suede hot pants and jacket combo and the orange dress.
3. Not such a long way from this: original Biba girls.
4. Or this. The FIRST Biba dress: the dress that launched a thousand collections, one might say.
5. “If you’re a Style Advisor Loyalty Card Member living in the UK, make sure you check your emails and book a place at our exclusive preview evening on Monday 27th April“. I am not and I don’t live in the UK. Damn it!
3/4. Delivery to the Netherlands takes at least 5 days. If you manage to get a piece please let me know! (with a picture!)
1. If I could I would break all the Sparkling Whine rules and have this as 1- 5. But sadly I can’t. Pictures of Jarvis use to adorn my mother’s fridge and quite rightly. Reportedly Jarvis gets cooler by the second as he now lives in Paris with a french actress. But, as they say, you can take the man out of Sheffield…
Tee and Cake @ Topshop Jarvis Cocker T Shirt. £20.00
2. A tribute to Jarvis? After all he has just moved to Sonia Rykiel’s city. Or maybe just to her very impressive 70 year old self.
Sonia by Sonia Rykiel, Vive la Rock T Shirt. £195.00
3. Every season Luella does another great tee. Nothing beats her ‘Love, Love, Love’ but this comes close. (although a bit dangerously close to a My Little Pony look)
Luella Pony Print T shirt £78.00
4. Sass & Bide T- Shirt Dress. Roll this up, put it in your backpack and take it on all your travels this summer. It will never let you down.
Sass & Bide Jersey T-Shirt Dress. £215.00
5. Talking of summer, Topshop’s camper van T -shirt arrives in perfect time to greet the festival season.
Topshop Camper Van Tee. £18.00
3/4 Wear them big, possibly put them in a colour wash to fade the white and never admitt how much they cost.